Olive Garden is a weakness of mine. Their zuppa toscana is simply the best lunch I can think of on a cold day. Making it at home isn’t hard, but it does take some time– unless you make it the Instant Pot way! Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana gets you a steaming hot bowl of deliciousness in under half an hour. How crazy is that?! This thing will never cease to amaze me.
Instant Pot zuppa toscana hits all the right spots. It’s a little spicy, a little creamy, a little starchy, and you can convince yourself it’s healthy because it’s got chicken broth AND kale in it. That basically makes it a health food, right? Plus, we make ours dairy-free, even down to the Parmesan (we use Follow Your Heart brand), so it’s healthier and safe for our whole family.
I use basil, oregano, and thyme essential oils to flavor our soup, as well as add some amazing benefits. By adding them AFTER the heating is complete, you preserve those benefits. Make sure you’re using the highest grade essential oils available if you’re going to add them to your soup! To purchase the only ones I trust to use with my family, check out this page.
All the recipes I’ve read suggest adding the kale the last couple of minutes, but we like our kale to be crunchy, so rather than that, we tear it up, put it in the bottom of our bowl, and pour the soup over it. That way, any leftovers we have are kale-free and easy to re-warm without ending up with a bunch of soggy greens.
Not feeling Italian soup tonight? Chicken taco soup in the Instant Pot is just as tasty and quick on a cold day, but more of a Tex-Mex flavor!
Don't Miss Out on a New Instant Pot Recipe!
Subscribe here for a beautiful, printable Instant Pot Iced Tea recipe card and you'll never miss an Instant Pot recipe that could change the way you cook!
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
1 lb Italian sausage (we use mild for the boys and add red pepper to ours, but if you get to be grown-ups, do the hot!)
1 sweet onion, diced
3 t minced garlic
10 yellow potatoes, sliced into 1/4″ discs, skin on
6 c chicken stock
1 drop basil essential oil***
1 drop oregano essential oil***
1 drop thyme essential oil***
1 c cashew milk (or other dairy-free milk or half and half)
1 bunch kale
Salt and pepper, to taste
Parmesan, to taste (we love Follow Your Heart brand for a dairy-free alternative)
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté and add the sausage, onion, and garlic. Brown until cooked through and onions are translucent.
- Drain excess fat and put back in the Instant Pot.
- Add the potatoes and then the chicken stock (to prevent splashing).
- Set your Instant Pot on manual, high pressure for 5 minutes. To bring it to pressure faster, heat up the chicken stock before you add it.
- Once the pressure cooking is done, allow to natural release for 10 minutes before flipping it to quick release.
- Stir in the essential oils and milk.
- Check for salt and pepper preferences.
- Add kale to your bowls and pour the soup over it. Top with Parmesan cheese, to taste.
*** Make sure you’re using the highest grade essential oils available if you’re going to add them to your soup! To purchase the only ones I trust to use with my family, check out this page.